The Festival is free and open to the public. No tickets required.
- The Boston area is due to receive inclement winter weather the week of the Festival. Please be advised that the Festival will still continue as scheduled.
Checking in at the Festival
- Check-in will be held in the First Level Hallway at the Hynes Convention Center. Each registered ensemble director will receive a Festival packet that includes their competition times, location, blue director name tag, pink chaperone stickers and Festival stickers. Performance locations will not be available before the Festival.
Awards Ceremony and Winners Showcase Concert
- There will be an awards ceremony in the Veterans Memorial Auditorium shortly after the conclusion of the daytime performances. Although it is not required, all competing instrumental and vocal ensembles are encouraged to attend the awards ceremony.
- The awards ceremony will begin at 5:30 p.m., and the winners’ showcase concert will follow at 6:30 p.m. First-place winners of each competing large and vocal ensemble will perform in the showcase. Winners may decline to participate in the showcase if necessary. Stage time for each group in the showcase is limited to one song no longer than 12 minutes. The concert should be finished by approximately 9:00 p.m.
- Each competing instrumental and vocal class will be awarded one first place trophy, second and third place plaques, one Honorable Mention certificate, one Superior Student Musicianship trophy, and three Outstanding Student Musicianship plaques. In addition, directors of winning ensembles will receive scholarships to award to individual students to attend Berklee College of Music programs.
- One Judge’s Choice trophy will be awarded to a student in each performing ensemble at the conclusion of its daytime performance.
- Festival rules are listed here.
Performance Room Equipment
- Each instrumental performance room is equipped with chairs, music stands, an electric piano, and one microphone for announcements. The ensemble must provide all other equipment, such as bass and guitar amplifiers, instrument cables, drum kits, cymbals, etc.
- Vocal ensemble rooms will be equipped as above with the addition of a sound system with 12 vocal microphones, stage risers, four monitors (two for the vocal performers, two for the rhythm section), and a digital reverb effects processor. Vocal ensembles must use the sound system and microphones provided. Additional microphones will not be permitted.
- Please note that directors are responsible for the security of their school’s equipment while it is in the storage facility. Berklee is not responsible for any loss of equipment or personal items.
Adjudication Comments and Scoring
- All ensembles will receive an evaluation from three Berklee faculty adjudicators as well as a recording of the performance. This recording serves as a record of the performance. All schools will receive a five-minute critique by a Berklee faculty member after each performance.
- Adjudication forms will be available at the conclusion of the awards ceremony online at Ensemble Director Profile page.
- It is important that you notify us immediately if you cannot attend the festival so that we can offer your performance time to another band.
Before February 6th: (617) 747-8601, On February 6th: 617-954-2951.
Director and Parent Hospitality Lounge
- Blue director name tags or pink chaperone stickers will allow entry into the Director and Parent Hospitality Lounge, Room 300, Third Level. Feel free to drop by and mingle with Berklee faculty and staff as well as other band directors from across the country. Refreshments will be provided throughout the day.
- Festival Merchandise and Music Supplies will be sold outside of the Veterans Memorial Auditorium, Second Level, 9:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Festival stickers are enclosed with each registration packet. Additional stickers will be available at the registration desk or at the tables hosted by Berklee’s Office of Admissions.
- There is a food court located in the mall connected to the Hynes Convention Center. There are also many restaurants in the immediate area surrounding the Hynes. Please allow extra time to reenter the Hynes through the security checkpoints.
- In the event that the Hynes must be evacuated for any reason, follow the directions of Hynes security staff. Upon reentering the Hynes, directors (only) should report to room 304. Students, parents, and chaperones should return to the storage area and wait for further instructions.